What started out as just another night at the movies turned out to be one of the darkest nights of the year. Some deranged imbecile walked into a movie house whilst fans were watching the final installment in the Batman franchise, The Dark Knight Rises, and opened fire. The person killed 12 innocent people and injured dozens more. Police then apprehended the suspect in a parking lot nearby, where two weapons were found in his possession. It’s believed there were others weapons found in the cinema.
This is too sad for words. This movie is one of the biggest releases of the year and its impending release is now marred by some inhumane act of violence. My thoughts and condolences go out to the families of the deceased and injured. I hope justice prevails, and quickly.
UPDATE: President Obama has released the following statement:
“Michelle and I are shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado,” Obama said. “Federal and local law enforcement are still responding, and my Administration will do everything that we can to support the people of Aurora in this extraordinarily difficult time. We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded. As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family. All of us must have the people of Aurora in our thoughts and prayers as they confront the loss of family, friends, and neighbors, and we must stand together with them in the challenging hours and days to come.”
– The Paris premiere has been cancelled following this shocking incident.
– Republic presidential candidate Mitt Romney has also released a statement:
“Ann and I are deeply saddened by the news of the senseless violence that took the lives of 15 people in Colorado and injured dozens more. We are praying for the families and loved ones of the victims during this time of deep shock and immense grief. We expect that the person responsible for this terrible crime will be quickly brought to justice.”
– Celebs are starting to share their thoughts and views on the incident. American Idol host and radio personality, Ryan Seacrest said, “Thinking about the families who were affected by this horrible incident in Colorado. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.” Morgan Freeman who plays the role of Lucius Fox said, “Sometimes this world can truly be a horrifying place. They just wanted to see a damn movie”.
– I shared this link on Facebook last night. It’s a chilling account of sport blogger Jessica Redfield’s close call in Toronto in June this year. The blogger was there on vacation. She wanted sushi for lunch, but changed her mind at the last minute. That decision might’ve saved her life. Unfortunately though, yesterday wasn’t her lucky day. She was one of the victims gunned down in the Aurora Theatre. So terribly sad and moving.
- Police confirm at least 14 dead, 50 injured after movie theater shooting in Colorado (minbcnews.com)
- BREAKING: Mass Shooting In Cinema in Aurora, Colorado…14 Dead And Approximately 50 Injured In Denver Shooting, 4 Died At Hospital… One Suspect Was in Custody (investmentwatchblog.com)