Last night I hosted an #Unscreening movie night, in conjunction with Times Media Films and my radio family, Cliff Central. The movie in question is called Maps to the Stars, which hits South African cinemas on the 23rd. The film stars the fantastic Julianne Moore, John Cusack and Robert Pattinson, among others. Here’s a short synopsis:
A tour into the heart of a Hollywood family chasing celebrity, one another and the relentless ghosts of their pasts.
Moore plays the role of Havana Segrand in this one, an actress who is ageing – and in Hollywood terms this means fading. Segrand battles to remain relevant in the competitive world of showbiz. Moore’s portrayal in this film has scored her much acclaim from the critics. She also won Cannes’ Best Actress award, as well as a Golden Globe nomination for the role. The film is directed by the highly acclaimed, David Croneberg. I must admit, I’m not familiar with his work so I didn’t have any expectations… And maybe that’s for the best. The movie is WEIRD!!!! Dark, twisted, but oddly fascinating at the same time.
I think a lot of my guests were like, what the actual fuck? Some left early, others giggled nervously and many left scratching their heads, wondering what on earth just happened. Bless. The film hits cinemas on Friday, so if you’re into movies like this, go and check it out and then let me know what you think 😉
Prior to the screening, we had the good folks at Martini South Africa providing cocktails for the guests. I invited a lot of my friends, industry peers and some of SA’s most loved – and they all turned up! Stars like the lovely Jay Anstey, Shashi Naidoo, Chad Saaiman, LeAnne Dlamini, Tamerin Jardine, Thenji Stemela, Hayley Owen, Khabonina Qubeka, Seline van der Wat, Nicole Da Silva and many others were all there to enjoy the drinks, festivities and hopefully the movie too. And what would an event be without some kick ass prizes too:
- @Converse_Africa gave us away ten varsity jackets and five hoodies. Just look how cool these hoodies are on the right:
- Big Concerts gave away four double tickets to The Script, along with their special guest Phillip Phillips. There was an awesome sing off between two guests, who were both eager to go and see Mamma Mia and then we had tickets to Lord of the Dance to giveaway too… All of that entertainment coming to SA this year, not shit at all J
- One of my favourite channels on DStv is BBC Entertainment. They have some of the best talent and shows on television and the team there were more than happy to share some giveaway love. So two lucky people walked off with two very heavy hamper bags, packed with loads of cool goodies. Check them out on Twitter for all the latest news and show updates: @BBCEnt_SA
- Sony Max gave away three sets of headphones, which is never terrible. People bugging you in the office? Drown them out with some awesome headphones… Well three of my guests will get that opportunity
- Two very lucky guests walked away with watches from 1 Face Watch. These watches are not only awesome in terms of design, but they’re attached to good causes too. They have several different colours, each of which is attached to a certain cause or charity and last night we gave away a team #HayLeigh, Smile Foundation watch because it’s a cause I believe in and have worked with for almost a year now. We also gave away an education watch. I believe in the power of education and also the importance of learning and educating our young South Africans. We can only move forward and compete globally if we’re empowering our people with the necessary skills to go out there and shine. Love their work and I love these watches. If you want more details, please visit them on 1facewatch.co.za or on Twitter: @1FaceWatchza
All in all it was a fun evening. I think if there’s to be a next time, we’ll focus more on rom-coms or something a little lighter. This was supposed to be a way for people to ease into the New Year, not scratch their heads or do too much thinking. Haha. Good times though. Thank you to everyone involved.