So the annual MTV Africa Music Awards took place in KwaZulu – Natal at the weekend and naturally the show attracted some of the biggest names in the game. Names like AKA, Sauti Sol, D’Banj, Bonang Matheba, Cassper Nyovest, Bucie and a whole heap more from the continent were there to be part of the celebrations, as were internationals like Ne-Yo, host Anthony Anderson and Jhene Aiko too.
So what was the show like? Here are a few of my 2015 MAMA moments to remember:
- The kissing: Are Bonang and D’Banj dating? (I’ve coined them Bonanj). Well when D’Banj was announced as the winner in the category, the two shared a kissed that looked more coupley than it did friendly. They’ll keep us guessing I’m sure. The other kiss that had everyone talking was from the newly announced couple, Cassper and Boity. They’re clearly feeling each other. Shem, cute.
- T Bo Touch… Oh Touch. Was he the talking point o the night or what? From ice creams to poor orphan, Twitter showed no backing down. Check this link to see what I mean. I cried I was laughing so much! Read this trending topic
- Bucie is amazing… I love her, but can we actually take a minute to appreciate how banging her body is? The star looked amazing!
- AKA showed his softer side, when he accepted his award and gave thanks to his queen, DJ Zinhle for what is arguably one of the best gifts a man can ever receive… a beautiful baby! All the bet to the happy couple and their bundle of joy!
- Awkward presenter moments. From Khuli Chana pretending to understand French, to Boity waffling off and throwing shade, to a Top Actor star being too overenthusiastic, to boring government speeches, the pairings were um… questionable at times
- Anthony Anderson was better than I thought. I still didn’t love him, but he was way better than last year’s host, Marlon Wayans.
- Production at this year’s MTV Africa Music Awards was ON POINT. Besides some technical glitches with sound and a few out of sync lip-syncers, the show was great. MTV stays winning.
What were some of your favourite moments? Who stood out, performed well or stole the red carpet? Share your thoughts? Oh and here the winners in case you missed them:
Best Female: Yemi Alade (Nigeria)
Best Male: Davido (Nigeria)
Best Group: P-Square (Nigeria)
Best New Act Transformed by Absolut: Patoranking (Nigeria)
Best Hip Hop: Cassper Nyovest (South Africa)
Best Collaboration: AKA, Burna Boy, Da LES & JR: “All Eyes On Me” (SA/Nigeria)
Song of the Year: Mavins: “Dorobucci” (Nigeria)
Best Live: Diamond Platnumz (Tanzania)
Video of the Year: “Nafukwa” – Riky Rick; Director: Adriaan Louw
Best Pop & Alternative: Jeremy Loops (South Africa)
Best Francophone: DJ Arafat (Ivory Coast)
Best Lusophone: Ary (Angola)
Personality of the Year: Trevor Noah (South Africa)
MAMA Evolution: D’Banj (Nigeria)
Best International: Nicki Minaj
Artist of the Decade: P-Square
MTV Base Leadership Award: Saran Kaba Jones & S’Bu Mavundla