What’s good friends? It’s Monday morning in my part of the world and it’s going to be a mad busy week. Why? Well here’s a little breakdown of what is crackening this week:
1. The 19th annual South African Music Awards (SAMAs) brought to you by MTN. It all goes down in Sun City this coming Friday and Saturday. Friday focuses on the technical, behind the scenes awards. Now this part of the weekend isn’t televised, but it’s fun and an important night too. I will be there and I’ll bring you some pics, news and highlights from that ceremony.
Saturday evening is the big show. Here’s a list of some of the performers expected to take to the stage:
Dr Thomas Chauke
Desmond and the Tutus
Vetkuk & Mahoota
Guest presenters include Menzi Ngubane, Sophie Ndaba, Zolisa Xaluva, Thami Mgqolo, Rapulana Seiphemo and Tsholo Monedi. Who will be the big host? The big winners? Find out on Saturday by checking out the live broadcast on SABC1 or follow my tweets (@JasonVonBerg) for details.
2. If the SAMAs aren’t your vibe then maybe Bon Jovi is. The legendary band will be rocking out at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg on Saturday evening. Bummed to be missing it, but hey the SAMAs have called and I shall answer 😉
3. Justin Bieber! Arguably the biggest name in entertainment at the moment kicks off his first South African tour this coming Wednesday in Cape Town. This will be massive and already Bieber fever has reached a level that nobody can control. If you’re going to be at the CT gig, let us know what it’s like. Oh and moms and dads, best you be getting your earplugs sorted ahead of the performance… we’d hate for you to be left hard of hearing afterwards. Sunday evening Jozi gets its chance to see the Biebs. I’ll be there, sadly sans the video camera because Bieber’s camp doesn’t allow for that, but I’ll be snapping some pics for the occasion.
4. Mother’s Day. Don’t forget to shower your mums this Sunday. A good breakfast, a lovely brunch, a delicious dinner… Some nice flowers, a few gifts and lots of love and you’re well on your way to being the kid ever!
Forget Bieber, Bon Jovi, Metallica and Rihanna folks because The Kooks are heading into town this weekend. The Brits are rolling in to be apart of the 5 Gum Experience. Tickets to this gig have got to be some of the most requested and yet rare things out there. The demand has been outstanding. A lot of you will know if you’ll be going through to the gig at a secret venue in Jozi and in Cape Town, but some of you might not have been successful in your attempts to win tickets. Cue the *sad faces* for many.
Well I’m here to help… I wish I could make all of your Mondays, but as I said these tickets are hard to come by. What I can do is give you the opportunity to win tickets to the gig in Jozi. Sounds easy enough right? Not so much… If you want to win you have to you have to:
– Be a fan of the band
– Someone who is desperate to see them.
– Someone who logged on to get your tickets to the gig as soon as the news was announced.
– Someone who really wants to be at the 5GumExperience.
I’m looking for creative ways to prove that you are one of two people deserving of a double ticket. You can:
– Sing one of their songs
– Record a message, (a video, voice note) and post it here or on YouTube and send me the link.
– Take a photo with your favourite 5 Gum flavours
– Post a FANtastic question to the band using the hashtag #5GumExperience
– THINK OUT OF THE BOX
If you’re up for the challenge drop me a comment in the section below or use the hashtag #5GumExperience in your tweets/ responses to me. I’d love to give you one of two double tickets to the gig and it would be rad to party with you. Continue reading “Win 1 of 2 double tickets to the #5GumExperience ft The Kooks”
Idols season 7 winner, Elvis Blue continues with his winning ways. In addition to his SAMA nominations, the star has now been given one awesome opportunity. He’ll be opening up for the highly acclaimed, Bon Jovi as part of their Because We Can tour to the country in May. Very nice. Check out the full press release below:
March 26, 2013 – Big Concerts confirmed today that recent 2013 SAMA nominee Elvis Blue will be the opening artist for Bon Jovi’s South African tour dates.
Elvis Blue’s journey started when he was a young boy, singing in school choirs, and busking on the streets of Johannesburg and Scotland. After a stint overseas as a street musician, Elvis returned to South Africa where he decided to study contemporary music. While living in George he met the friend whose name he would adopt in 2008. “My wife works at an organisation that is a hospice and children’s home and I met this little boy there when I used to go and play my guitar for them. He really wanted to be a keyboard player, and his name was Elvis Blaauw”, he says. Continue reading “Elvis Blue to open for Bon Jovi”
International acts, they keep on coming. Big Concerts announced this morning that rockers, Bon Jovi will be heading to South Africa next year as part of their “Because we can” world tour. The band will be playing two concerts in May 2013. Cape Town, you’re up first on Tuesday the 7th at the Cape Town Stadium. This is followed by a performance at the FNB Stadium on the 11th of May.
Check out the Big Concerts website for ticketing information.
Billboard Hot 100 Number 1 Single:
Empire State of Mind- Jay-Z + Alicia Keys
BBC Radio 1 Number 1 Single:
You Are Not Alone- X Factor Finalists 2009
Nokia Music Store Number 1 Singles Download:
I Gotta Feeling- The Black Eyed Peas
Billboard Hot 100 Number 1 Album:
The Circle- Bon Jovi
BBC Radio 1 Number 1 Album:
Words For You – Various Artists
Nokia Music Store Number 1 Album Download:
Staring At The Ceiling- Watershed
Here’s Bon Jovi’s new single off their Number 1 album. It’s called “We Weren’t Born To Follow”. Look carefully, some of the greats like Archbishop Desmond Tutu!
Okay so these albums haven’t officially been released yet, so I thought we’d do something different… by looking at their album covers.
Leona Lewis- Echo;
Bon Jovi- The Circle. The first single is called ‘We Weren’t Born To Follow” and it’s just been added to radio stations in SA.
Natalie Imbruglia- “Come To Life”