Last night entertainment powerhouse, E! Entertainment hosted the crème de la crème of the South African entertainment industry at 3 Desmond, in Johannesburg. The event was to showcase some of the shows that we’ve come to love and adore on the channel (DStv channel 124), but also to show off some of the new titles they’re adding to the stable… And this includes a lot more content from our very backyard.
Season two of the E! News Special will begin soon, kicking off with Nigeria’s D’Banj. Everyone has a good old laugh about this one when host Bonang Matheba mentioned it 😉 Something else that I really like is that the channel will showcasing red carpet event coverage from many of the major events on the local calendar. Fantastic news. Oh how I wish I could be part of it, channel my inner Seacrest.
More on that to follow, but for now here’s a gallery from last night’s #EAfricaParty shenanigans.
Thanks for taking the time today. Tell us about this new show. Hollywood Cycle follows the lives of the 3 main instructors of CycleHouse. Myself, Aaron & Nichelle. It is fast paced and jam packed full of blood, sweat, tears and laughter. Viewers will get to see the inner workings of Los Angeles top workout studio and why every celebrity vies for a bike in the highly coveted classes.
How did you get involved in the show?
Actually, the show came to us. One of my good friends and regular members is a top movie executive. She had witnessed the birth of our studio and everything else that comes with starting a new business. Everything from expansion struggles, to handling celebrity clientele, to inside drama. One day she said ‘you guys need a show!’. Initially we laughed it off. It turned out she was serious and within the next month we started filming! It was surreal. We just carried on life as normal except now cameras were following us!
Joining a channel like E! is pretty big. Did you ever in your wildest dreams think that being an instructor for indoor cycling would lead you to becoming an E! star?
Haha, no….I never thought it would lead to a show on E!. E! is the most amazing network and has really taken care of us. We definitely feel like part of the E! family.
Tell us about the dynamics between you and your fellow instructors? Who offers some entertaining storylines?
Myself, Aaron & Nichelle play and fight like family. Emotions definitely run high at CycleHouse. You will see inside that drama and how everyone has an opinion! It can be exhausting. All 3 of us offer very different story lines follwing our personal & professional lives. You will see me juggling classes, designing all our lifestyle and workout apparel, babysitting my twin godsons and attempting to make a modeling casting with the twins in tow!
You’re obviously fit and healthy, but do you ever have little cheat days? If so, what’s your guilty pleasure?
Absolutely! Eveyrone has to have cheat days (if you’ve earned them!) I definitely have a sweet tooth so anything with sugar works for me. I miss my Mum’s cooking for sure. All of that is cheat day to me. It’s proabbly a good thing I don’t live in England as I would have to spin 24/7 to keep lean! Haha
In terms of TV watching and when you get a chance, what are some of your other favorites on E!?
I’ve always loved E!’s programming from The Kardashians to the newly premiered ‘I am Cait’. I find Caitlyn Jenner such an inspiration and incredibly brave. Those are two of my favourites.
In SA, we’re pretty health conscious and as we build up to our summer, loads of people will be hitting the spinning studio. What tips do you have for the newbies?
Show up, work hard and HAVE FUN! Don’t be intimidated. A great studio should welcome all levels of clients and make everyone feel welcome. As long as you keep moving and sweat then we are golden! I promise it does get easier and you’ll be flying with everyone else in no time!
Any other health tips for the healthy enthusiasts that you can share with us?
HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE…so important! Also post exercise your body is craving protein. Ideally you want to get protein inside you within the first 30mins post workout.
In closing, why should we watch this show of yours?
Because I’m in it! J Although depsite that I have to say the show has everything from fitness to drama but it also has a lot of heart. I think it will appeal to all viewers and all ages. I’ve also been getting the most amazing social media messages saying that I have motivated people to go back to the gym and even try spinning! That in itself makes it all so worth it!
Where can we check you out on social media?
Come follow me and see what I’m up to daily via:
For more on the show, catch it on E! Entertainment, channel 124 on DStv or check out their showpage here.
E! News anchor and reality star, Giuliana Rancic has decided to leave one of the entertainment powerhouse’s most popular show. She will continue in her role on Fashion Police and as one of the co-hosts for E!’s Live from the Red Carpet.
The star told E! Online,”For more than a decade, I was fortunate enough to play a role in the success of E! News and will miss my family at the show. At the same time, I am excited to not only continue as host of two major franchises on E! but also executive produce the aspirational new show Rich in Faith for Oxygen as well as take my wine and clothing lines to the next level.”
It’s been quite a journey for the star. From her battle with breast cancer to getting married, having a baby and the scandalous comments on Fashion Police, but we haven’t seen the last of her. She makes a real big contribution to the industry and I’m certain her future endeavours will be just as successful. She said she’s excited for what’s to come after her last episode on the 10th of August. “This is such a thrilling time for me and I thank the gang at E! for understanding my desire to embark on this next chapter in my life.”
Maybe I should submit my showreel and a strong motivation to E! The dream job I’ve longed for, for many many years 😉 #JVBforE
And there they are… Reality star Kim Kardashian married her baby-daddy, rapper Kanye West at the weekend and E! Has the first pictures. Here’s one of the absolutely gorgeous Kim and her man at the alter. Extravagant, glamorous… Fit for a king and queen. Check out some more pics here: www.eonline.com/news/545405/kim-kardashian-and-kanye-west-s-first-photos-as-a-married-couple-see-the-exclusive-pics-of-the-newlyweds
The 2014 Golden Globes are here and that means that awards season has officially kicked off. Check this out… Bryan Cranston, Bradley Cooper, Jonah Hill, Matthew McConaughey, Seth Myers, the guys from U2 and Leonardo DiCaprio are just some of the male stars walking the 2014 Golden Globes. Those are some of the big boys in Hollywood but what would a night like this be without some of beautiful starlets too? Kerry Washingston and her “best accessory of the night” aka her unborn baby were there. While waiting to be interview by E! Entertainment’s Ryan Seacrest, Julianna Margulies offered Kerry some advice on becoming a mother, saying it’s the best thing she has ever done. Cate Blanchett of “Blue Jasmine” was sporting her Armani dress tonight. Gucci was a popular choice for the night, as pregnant Olivia Wilde and The Wolf of Wall Street star, Margot Robbie donned some of the brand’s latest design. Margot is my winner of the night.
Matthew McConaughey and Julia Roberts wore Dolce&Gabbana, Taylor Swift in Carolina Herrera and Jennifer Lawrence in Dior. Sophia Vergara is looking great in Zac Posen, even if it’s a “tent”. She was recently on holiday, posting pics of her perfect bikini body. She told Seacrest that she finds the cold weather torturous, “You have to wear too many clothes”. We prefer it hot too, Sophia. Love her, she’s hilarious.
Golden Globes live ceremony:
– Amy Poehler and Tina Fey get things going with their hosting duties. They’re absolutely brilliant
– Jennifer Lawrence wins the Best Supporting Actress award for her role in American Hustle. The award was presented by Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock.
– Jacqueline Bisset wins Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television for her role in “Dancing on the Edge. She is visibly moved “Okay. Scottish background to the front. Um, I always wanted to do something for the BBC and this was great.” The rest of her speech definitely requires a transcription… The wrap up music and all.
– Behind the Candelabra wins the Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television.
– Elisabeth Moss wins Best Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television for her role in “Top of the Lake”. She dedicated her award to her mother, whom she hopes to be like one day.
– Bryan Cranston wins Best Actor in a Television Drama Series for his role in “Breaking Bad”… Obviously 😉 “Oh my gosh. Oh. Thank you to the Hollywood Foreign Press. It’s a lovely honour and such a lovely way to end the show.”
– Breaking Bad wins Best TV Drama series. The creator, Vince Gilligan accepts the award on behalf of the cast and crew. “The best thing about this is that it gives us one more chance to thank the fans of the show.” Aaron Paul pipes in “Yeah bitch, thank you”
– Best Score – All is Lost by Alex Ebert #GoldenGlobes. “Let it flow”.
– Best Original Song award goes to U2 for their song Ordinary Love in Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom “This is amazing. We have been working for president Mandela since the 70s. So it has taken us 3 years to write this song. Not only South Africa, but thanks to Mandela. The course of history, holy Catholic Ireland has changed forever. This really is personal for us. Very, very personal. A man who refused to hate. He thought love would do a better job.”
– Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television goes to Jon Voight for “Ray Donovan”
“I know you all. I’m very grateful. I’m so grateful to the Hollywood Foreign Press for this. I’m as nervous as everybody else.”
– The winner for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy: Amy Adams, “American Hustle”. If Jacqueline Bisset wants some tips on how to accept an award, she should definitely watch Amy Adams because that was a great, succinct, smart and to the point speech that had emotion, humour and a story to it.
– Best Actress in a Television Drama Series goes to Robin Wright for her role in House of Cards “Completely unexpected I have no speech. Thank you everybody.”
– Best Supporting Actor goes to Jared Leto for Dallas Buyers Club. He spoke of his but, waxing his entire body and how he hadn’t made a movie in six years because of wanting to pursue other dreams… When you’re talented, you’re talented huh? Nice one!
– Best Screenplay goes to Spike Jonze for “Her”. “Im a terrible public speaker and I’m bad at speaking English so bare with me. I want to share this with the other great writers.”
– Best Actor in a Television Comedy Series award goes to Andy Samberg for “Brooklyn 99”.. “Oh no. I didn’t prepare anything. It wasn’t going to happen. Who knew. I guess I’ll just thank everyone. You know the guys who came up with the show, Mike and Dan. The cast is awesome, the crew is really good. The writers kick A. And of course my beautiful and incredible wife Joanna who I love so much. Thank you”.
– Best Foreign Language Film award goes to “The Great Beauty” out of Italy. “Thank you to Italy. That’s a crazy country, but beautiful. Thank you very much”
– Best Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television award goes to Michael Douglas, “Behind the Candelabra”. ” Thank you all. Thank you very much. Hollywood Foreign Press. Forty five years in the foreign press. I used to think of them as my aunts and uncles, now they’re my nieces and nephews,” he said. “Matt Damon, the bravest, talented actor I’ve ever worked with.”
– Best Animated Feature Film goes to the team who worked on the film, Frozen.
– Best Actress in a TV series Comedy goes to Amy Poehler for her role in Parks and Recreation. After ‘making out with U2’s Bono, Amy said, “Wow I was unprepared for this. Wow, Parks! The best job. I’m just so thrilled to be apart of this evening among such great people. Thank you very, very much.”
– Cecil B. DeMille award time. This year’s recipient is Woody Allen. He wasn’t there to accept the award so his long time friend, Diane Keaton accepted it on his behalf.
– Best Director goes to Alfonso Cuaron, “Gravity”. “Well thank you Hollywood Foreign Press. This is for the hundreds of people who made this film possible. Sandra you are the most amazing collaborator. I want to thank you for not waiting when I told you I am going to give you herpes when I meant I’m going to give you an earpiece.” Hahaha.
– Brooklyn Nine-Nine wins the Best TV Series Comedy award at this year’s Golden Globes “I’m a terrible actor so you can be assured that I’m surprised in real life.”
– Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy award goes to Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Wolf of Wall Street. He thanks Martin Scorsese for being the incredible visionary that he is and for allowing him to stalk him into making this movie.
– Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy award goes to American Hustle. “I’d like to say that one of the benefits to the motion picture business is that we get to make films about people. We had the privilege of telling the art of survival, resilience and reinvention. The award has to be shared with David Russell.”
– Cate Blanchett wins the award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama for her role in “Blue Jasmine” . “A few vodkas under my belt and here we are.”
– Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama award goes to Matthew McConaughey, “Dallas Buyers Club”. “Aaaaaaaaaaah. Alright, Alright, alright. Unexpected, but graciously expected. Respect to the other nominees. This film was never about dying, it was about living. With that I say just keep.”
– 12 Years a Slave finally wins an award…. Steve McQueen accepts the award for Best Motion Picture. “A little bit in shock. Firstly I’d like to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press. My wife, Bianca.” He also thanked his cast, crew and studio.
It’s Grammy weekend!!! One of my favourite award ceremonies of the season. Music is a universal language, one that unites us. The 54th Annual Grammys hits our screens on Sunday evening/ Monday morning and the show will honour some of the biggest names in the business. Performances from Adele, The Foo Fighters, Chris Brown, Tony Bennett, Coldplay and Rihanna, Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson and many many more are expected, while LL Cool J will be on hosting duty.
The festivities getting going on E! Entertainment, channel 124 on DStv from 01:00 with Live From The Red Carpet. The team will be broadcasting from the Staples Centre in Los Angelas. Catch Ryan Seacrest and Giuliana Rancic as they chat to the biggest names of the red carpet and the all time favourite Glam Cam 360 will be catching all the talent on camera, with some commentary from Kelly Osbourne and others.
Once the red carpet is done, switch over to Channel O, channel 320 on DStv for a live broadcast of the awards. I’ll be up, tweeting and blogging at the absurd hour but it’s all for the love of the game. If you’re in my part of the world join me:
The sixth season of the hugely popular reality show, Keeping Up With The Kardashians is returning to South African TV screens tonight. If you’ve never watched this very entertaining show, it chronicles the fabulous and filthy rich lives of the Kardashian family. This season it’s “Family First, Family Forever”, because this season “Family Rules”. We all know Kim got hitched recently, so in the build up to that television special, we’ll get to know Kris Humphries better. We’ll also get to see how the younger girls Kylie and Kendall are growing up, how Kourtney wants to become a mom again and how the Khlomar kouple are doing too.
Some say it’s mindless, but others know how entertaining the show can be. I’ll shamelessly admit I am a fan and the Kardashians are one of my guilty pleasures. Don’t judge, but Ryan Seacrest knows how to make good TV great and if you know me, you know how much I look up to him!
Tune in at 22:00 tonight only on E! Entertainment on DStv channel 124.