So the annual MTV Africa Music Awards took place in KwaZulu – Natal at the weekend and naturally the show attracted some of the biggest names in the game. Names like AKA, Sauti Sol, D’Banj, Bonang Matheba, Cassper Nyovest, Bucie and a whole heap more from the continent were there to be part of the celebrations, as were internationals like Ne-Yo, host Anthony Anderson and Jhene Aiko too.
So what was the show like? Here are a few of my 2015 MAMA moments to remember:
- The kissing: Are Bonang and D’Banj dating? (I’ve coined them Bonanj). Well when D’Banj was announced as the winner in the category, the two shared a kissed that looked more coupley than it did friendly. They’ll keep us guessing I’m sure. The other kiss that had everyone talking was from the newly announced couple, Cassper and Boity. They’re clearly feeling each other. Shem, cute.
- T Bo Touch… Oh Touch. Was he the talking point o the night or what? From ice creams to poor orphan, Twitter showed no backing down. Check this link to see what I mean. I cried I was laughing so much! Read this trending topic
- Bucie is amazing… I love her, but can we actually take a minute to appreciate how banging her body is? The star looked amazing!
- AKA showed his softer side, when he accepted his award and gave thanks to his queen, DJ Zinhle for what is arguably one of the best gifts a man can ever receive… a beautiful baby! All the bet to the happy couple and their bundle of joy!
- Awkward presenter moments. From Khuli Chana pretending to understand French, to Boity waffling off and throwing shade, to a Top Actor star being too overenthusiastic, to boring government speeches, the pairings were um… questionable at times
- Anthony Anderson was better than I thought. I still didn’t love him, but he was way better than last year’s host, Marlon Wayans.
- Production at this year’s MTV Africa Music Awards was ON POINT. Besides some technical glitches with sound and a few out of sync lip-syncers, the show was great. MTV stays winning.
What were some of your favourite moments? Who stood out, performed well or stole the red carpet? Share your thoughts? Oh and here the winners in case you missed them:
Best Female: Yemi Alade (Nigeria)
Best Male: Davido (Nigeria)
Best Group: P-Square (Nigeria)
Best New Act Transformed by Absolut: Patoranking (Nigeria)
Best Hip Hop: Cassper Nyovest (South Africa)
Best Collaboration: AKA, Burna Boy, Da LES & JR: “All Eyes On Me” (SA/Nigeria)
Song of the Year: Mavins: “Dorobucci” (Nigeria)
Best Live: Diamond Platnumz (Tanzania)
Video of the Year: “Nafukwa” – Riky Rick; Director: Adriaan Louw
Best Pop & Alternative: Jeremy Loops (South Africa)
Best Francophone: DJ Arafat (Ivory Coast)
Best Lusophone: Ary (Angola)
Personality of the Year: Trevor Noah (South Africa)
MAMA Evolution: D’Banj (Nigeria)
Best International: Nicki Minaj
Artist of the Decade: P-Square
MTV Base Leadership Award: Saran Kaba Jones & S’Bu Mavundla
Tell your MAMA that R&B superstar NE-YO is on his way back to Mzansi. The Grammy winner will be out here for the MTV Africa Music Awards, going down in KZN on the 18th of July.
On performing in Durban for the first time, the R&B crooner said, “I can’t wait for you to see what I have in store Durban! I hope you’re ready, because I am!”
SEE ALL THE NOMINEES HERE
Commented Alex Okosi, Senior Vice President & Managing Director, Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN) Africa, “We are very excited to welcome NE-YO to MAMA 2015 for his first ever appearance in Durban. As a sensational live perfomer and truly accomplished R&B star, NE-YO’s an all-round class act who will greatly complement the African performers on the show.”
I’ve had the privilege of meeting NE-YO. As a fan and as reporter, I can tell you he is one of the nicest, most humble people in the industry. He’s a talent to behold and trust me, if you’re going to be at the MAMAs, you will not be disappointed.
Tickets for the MAMAs are on sale at Computicket now. Visit the site for more details and to join the conversation about the awards please use the hashtag #MTVMAMA2015.
There’s just one week to go until Celine Dion releases her brand new album called Loved Me Back To Life. The star has been releasing some of the new tracks on YouTube for fans to listen to and here’s the latest one:
It’s a great collaboration between her and one of the nicest guys in the music business, Mr. Ne-Yo! It’s called Incredible and after a couple of listens, I’m certain it will be just that to me! Looking forward to hearing the full album.
Read more about Celine Dion’s new album here
This week has been good. I got to chat to the guys from Mi Casa ahead of their big performance for President Obama on Monday. I also got to chat to Ne-Yo, who happens to one of my favourite artists. He’s super talented and let me tell you, in person, he’s so awesome. Friendly, forthcoming, intelligent and just the sort of dude you’d like to hang out with.
He was here in his capacity as Creative Director for the new range of Malibu called Malibu Red. Last night I hit up the red carpet event at The Venue in Johannesburg. Some of SA’s finest were in attendance walking the carpet as was Ne-Yo. Check out the highlights above – and stay tuned for more on my one-on-one interview coming soon (when I can finally convert the format to something workable).
Today I get to meet and interview one of my favourite artists, Ne-Yo. The star jetted into the country yesterday as part of his ambassador duties for Malibu. He is the creative director behind their new range of Malibu Red and so he’s out here to promote the drink and also to perform tomorrow night. He’ll be joined on stage by AKA and Toya Delazy, so it’s bound to be a good night out. More on that on Friday or keep an eye on my Twitter handle for more details.
If you’ve got any burning questions for Ne-Yo, you’ve got until lunch time (SA time) to let me know, otherwise be sure to check back here soon for the video interview.
Rihanna performed her new single, Stay on SNL recently. It’s taken off her number one album, Unapologetic. The album has really grown on me and I find myself choosing this one over Ne-Yo, Taylor and Alicia if I’m honest. I’m surprised that this was the second single off the album, but it really shows a different side to the star and I’m liking it. Plus, for all the haters who believe she can’t sing, the video above proves otherwise.
Rumours are doing the rounds that Rihanna is the next star who will be gracing South African shores this year. Let’s hope so. It will be her first tour as a headliner, so I look forward to hearing more from the promoters.
CLUB BANGER ALERT!!! Put your Hands Up In The Air with Timbaland and Ne-Yo. Awesome track